Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!


Today, well actually yesterday by the time I finish this, is my Dad's 64th b-day! I just love this guy and am so grateful for all that he has done for me! His life has been an example of faith, service, love and devotion to me and our family. In honor of his special day here are 64 reasons why I love and appreciate him.

1. He ALWAYS had time for me when I needed to talk.

2. When I was a little girl on Saturday nights after our baths he would take us for a ride on his motorcycle around the block to "Let our hair dry"

3. He spent countless hours rebounding b-balls in the driveway for me

4. I don't remember him missing any of my b-ball games from elementary through high school.

5. When I was at CEU playing b-ball he and my Mom drove down many times to see me "play" ok really sit on the bench and sing the National Anthem at the Men's game.

6. I had to audition for a scholarship at SUU and he met me in Spanish Fork and drove with me to Cedar City and spent the day with me. Then he drove all the way home!

7. I used to take naps with him on the couch after lunch on Sundays and he had the worst breath because we had just eaten Sardines on Saltines.

8. I loved to watch "The Price is Right" with him because he always won the showcase!

9. He introduced me to Sardines on Saltines and I still love them!

10. He taught me how to do a job right the first time. I swept the kitchen once and had done a lousy job and he came home and told me that it needed to be done again. I resisted because I had already done the job and he said "You don't do a job just to say you have finished it, you do a job so it's done right" I have never forgotten that lesson and the day that I learned it.

11. I learned how to hang drywall, mud and sand because of him and our "Family Projects"

12. I also learned how to roof a house because of another "family project"

13. He ALWAYS fixed my car

14. He used to let us sit in the Model A car in the garage and pretend to drive it

15. I knew if I called him from school because I left something important at home he would bring it to me

16. When I locked my keys in my car TWICE in one day he came both times with a spare

17. I knew he loved my Mother and treated her with respect

18. He challenged me in the 9th grade to read the Book of Mormon and to pray about it's truth. Because of this challenge my testimony sprouted

19. He helped me get my first real job

20. He taught me that you can't just mow the lawn you also have to trim. And when your done you have to sweep to finish off the job right!

22. I loved watching him get ready for church when I was young.

23. He taught me how to polish shoes

24. He introduced me to John Denver and we always sang it in the car when we drove through the canyons.

25. He taught me to be kind

26. When I was finishing up my degree at the U of U he watched Broc for me during my night class. He would take him to the mall and meet Mom for dinner.

27. He never missed a choir concert even though he knew all the songs and should probably be an honorary Lace and Laytone!

28. He always worked hard

29. My whole life I knew he had a testimony of the Savior

30. He can fix almost anything!

31. You knew if you saw him with a tape measure you were in big trouble! It meant another "Family Project" was brewing

32. I never felt embarrassed that he was my Dad, Never!

33. When I was struggling during my first semester at CEU, because I wasn't doing what I needed to, I called home to talk to him and he challenged me read my scriptures daily and be completely active. That night I found 2 Nephi 31:20 and it became my favorite scripture.

34. When I had a mishap with the jeweler on John's wedding ring he let me have his special ring to give to John for his wedding ring

35. He knew before me that I should marry John and not go on a mission. Boy did that get me at the time and now I'm so grateful

36. He loves my children and they know it!

37. When we owned the grocery store in Hooper I remember he would let us have treats and play at the store.

38. I remember driving down the freeway, right before the Roy exit, and I was playing with my fake money and for some crazy reason I put my hand out the window and let a wad of fake cash go. I freaked out and started to scream. He pulled over the van and I remember watching him scramble all over the freeway picking up my FAKE money!

39. He is probably the most patient man I know!

40. I remember on more than one occasion him going to the store to buy feminine products. Sometimes we would send him with and empty box so that he would be sure to get the right kind!

41. I always loved it when he was in charge of stockings at Christmas

42. When I was in Kindergarten my friend and I were walking home from school and we decided to pick all and I mean all the tulips out of the parking strip of a home. We shoved them into a brown bag and hid them behind my bedroom door. Well he found them, probably from the oder, and he made me go to the persons house and apologise. He held my hand on the porch of the women's house and helped me, in between my sobs, apologise to her.

43. He spent hours and hours helping me paint my first house.

44. When I lived in Farmington he would stop by at least once a week and usually more to check on us and to say hi to Broc.

45. It was always normal for him to serve in the Church and now that I'm older I'm grateful that he always said yes to Church callings.

46. He was always willing to loan us money

47. He went with Broc and I to McCall's ultrasound because John had to work. When we found out it was a girl he was so excited to have another princess come to our family!

48. He always told me that he loved me

49. When we lived in Farmington he would meet Broc and I at the gas station for lunch after reading time at the library. Broc still talks about those days

50. Even now at 34 I know that I can always call and when I do call he will make time for me

51. I know that we, my sisters and my Mom have always been his top priority

52. I remember the trip with me, Broc and Dad driving to Phoenix to take Emily a car. We had a great time just the three of us!

53. He always wants to just hang out with his girls!

54. He is always excited for us when fun things happen in our lives

55. I loved the late night talks with him and Mom

56. I love that even now at 34 he is still protective of me

57. He's always willing to go along for the drive so that we can visit

58. It was neat when we were in the same ward with them because I always had people tell me how much they admired my Dad and appreciated his wisdom and experience

59. I knew that if I disappointed him he never held it against me

60. I'm grateful that he paid for me to have braces - TWICE!

61. He always wanted us to look nice and because of this he often went without

62. I'm so grateful that he taught me that repentance is a way to draw closer to our Heavenly Father

63. I'm grateful for him honoring his Priesthood and using it to bless my life!

64. I'm just so grateful that I get to call him my DAD! I LOVE YOU!

No comments: